Monday, December 17, 2007

Today's Lectio

I'm focusing my thoughts and stream of consciousness on the gospel reading for today.

Yesterday's reading is a good intro to this text.

Kinda scary. Funny, I was just thinking about how revelation is so hard to read and how the Scaremongers need to pull in so many other texts to make sense of it and here we have JC himself talking about the crazy stuff that is to come "as was spoken of by the prophet Daniel."

Now, many dwell on the violence of the second coming, two in the field, one will be left, etc. I think when some people constantly describe this manner of second coming they reveal themselves and their theology as essentially violent and judgement based.

Enough of that. What I'm focusing on the unknown aspect of the second coming. Jesus warns plainly of this. The second coming will not be what we expect or can think of. Kinda like the Nativity. What do all the prophecy end times people think when they read: Take note, I have told you beforehand. So, if they say to you, “Look! He is in the wilderness”, do not go out. If they say, “Look! He is in the inner rooms”, do not believe it. God is the God surprises and the unexpected. For more on this read the Bible, especially Moses, Abraham, David, Jesus, Paul, John, and the history of Christianity.

One thing that keeps bothering me is the idea that we have our ideas and we find what we want in the scriptures. It's the same for Jack VanImpe as for me. More to come on this...

No comments: