Saturday, November 24, 2007

Hard Work

They say that work is hard. Why does it have to be hard? How about serious. When we want to be committed to something, we use the language of work: "I'm serious about music", or "I work hard on my music." Why is it that we don't have words for playful work? The feeling of flow that that guy Mihaly Csikszentmihalyi(wiki:Flow)talks about. Jesus gives a good metaphor, My yolk is easy, my burden light. A yolk is something that is used to harness the energy of animals, but Jesus' yolk is easy. Why? Maybe it's because the economy of the Kingdom is so at odds with the one we all live in. For more on the Kingdom look into the wonderful paradoxes that Jesus offers time and again, especially turn the other cheek, go the extra mile, and remove the plank in your own eye before the mote in your neighbor's. All ways in which the christian is called to produce a counter rhythm in society.

No comments: